The Mansion On Main Building History
The Mansion On Main is located in the historic M. Fine and Sons shirt factory and significant time and resources have been put into bringing this national historic landmark back to life for our residents to enjoy. Below is the history of the building.
The M. Fine and Sons building is significant under National Register Criterion A for its association with industrial manufacturing in southern Indiana and the U.S. during the latter part of the nineteenth century through the late twentieth century. It represents a major economic force in the City of New Albany and can be associated with a highly respected brand of work shirt, Five Brothers®, that was manufactured here. Although the original firm was dissolved in the early twenty-first century, the brand is still alive, manufactured by a firm in Illinois. The building is also significant under National Register Criterion C as an excellent example of early twentieth century industrial construction. Designed by the highly respected Louisville architectural firm of Joseph & Joseph, in 1922 and 1928, it demonstrates the prevailing eclectic style employed for such buildings, with interesting details that served both practical and decorative purposes. Although the architect of a 1936 addition is unknown, the structure follows the original in many aspects, reflecting a slightly sleeker, modernistic influence. The Period of Significance, 1922-1950 encompasses the original construction date, and the subsequent additions, as well as a period of peak occupation and activity during WWII and afterward.